New! SPIRITS: SEANCE & SOUL COLLECTOR Tuck Boxes

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Fenrir
Collector: Yes
White Whale: No 17 Crown
Decks Owned: 475

Re: New! SPIRITS: SEANCE & SOUL COLLECTOR Tuck Boxes

Unread post by Fenrir »

kevork wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:16 pm Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for a lenticular panel to work properly, you need two different images interlaced in alternating lines underneath. Otherwise, the panel just blurs the image underneath.

Maybe those panels can be used on a future project.
It’s an interlaced image with a lenticular lens on top. The interlacing combined with the lens is how you get the effect.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Scraping features after funding always sits nice.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:36 am Scraping features after funding always sits nice.
The end result really didn't look good, while you could say that samples should have been obtained and perhaps a change in direction made.

This wasn't discovered until the final tucks and fronts came in.

the video is here

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/yGg51yyfzJ0
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

in the video, the panel does look quite poopy on the tuck. perhaps it is better in person. i think a good compromise would be to send them out with the decks and each backer can have them as an add on type thing and choose to put them on there if they like.

changes after campaigns are funded can be disappointing for sure. it seems in this case that the creator made a judgement call. given the video, i am pleased the call was to leave them on instead of just sticking them on there because that was what the campaign promised.

maybe samples were made to a specific quality and then the items didn't get made quite as well, maybe no samples were made at all. ideally, samples would have been made until the desired quality/effect was achieved and then the final product was made/remade until the initial quality was matched. not sure why this did not occur but i am not too disappointed that the panels will not be on the tuck.

edit: wtf is up with getting an error every post and having to resubmit or whatever? been that way since last week. is it just me?
Evilgamer

STLBluesNut wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:20 am

edit: wtf is up with getting an error every post and having to resubmit or whatever? been that way since last week. is it just me?
no Im sure I will have to manually type unitedcardists.com in the address bar to get back to the page after the posting this.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

STLBluesNut wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:20 am edit: wtf is up with getting an error every post and having to resubmit or whatever? been that way since last week. is it just me?
It's not just you, not sure what's causing it

Pro tip, if you submit a post/comment and get a white screen, just go back once or twice and then refresh :D
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Evilgamer

I haven't seen anyone else post them so I figured I would take some pictures and post them after I had collected my initial thought on these.

In general its a competent first outing for a new producer, but it does show how much a more prepared approach can make the difference between a good and a great deck, this could have definitely benefitted from test printing/having prototypes rather than renders for the campaigns and revisions (or possibly not doing a specific variant).

I backed for the standard, gold, and holo editions

Tucks arent really my thing so these are...fine. The gold one does show an issue I was worried about since some of the "we're shipping" videos which is details being crushed to flat.
IMG_6116.jpeg
The standard deck is ''good to decent", a few of the cards are a bit dark but...honestly by biggest issue was a conscious decision, this is a triptych deck, but a white border was used for the actual faces.
IMG_6118.jpeg
The Gold gilded/foiled deck (soul collector)...actually came out pretty well on the faces. On the backs...again the details were completely crushed out in a lot of cases. This also happens sometimes on the faces, but other times, combination of basically greyscale and then gold really really works.
IMG_6119.jpeg
The Holo deck (holo base stock with the art printed on top rather than foiled like the gold deck)...I dunno this was definitely a risk, and it kind of works...(damning with faint praise Im afraid). Again like the gold deck but even worse, the backs are basically holo back with grey patterns, no details. The more limited color pallet does result in somewhat of a muted view of the art.
IMG_6120.jpeg
some side by side comparisons
IMG_6121.jpeg
IMG_6122.jpeg
IMG_6123.jpeg
IMG_6125.jpeg
Fenrir
White Whale: No 17 Crown
Decks Owned: 475

Unread post by Fenrir »

Thanks for sharing the photos. The green regular is clearly the best version. The gold is missing lots of detail and the holo even more so. That back design comparison is rough but good effort for a first time.

Hopefully lessons learned.
CCwonder

Unread post by CCwonder »

Accurate analysis Evilgamer. What do you think of the handling?
Evilgamer

CCwonder wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:32 am Accurate analysis Evilgamer. What do you think of the handling?
Im not a cardist, but I grabbed what I think everyone would agree is a "very good" wjpc deck, golden frogs (ungilded) and the basic handling feel about the same, these have a slicker varnish on them it feels like than the frogs. Fans fine, shuffles well.

The gold foil does make the handling slicker (less grip anywhere there is foil) and the holo version I want to say is a thinner stock, but it took shuffle force to really feel that and is also a touch slicker.
Harvonsgard

Ouch for foil. Reminds me about my main gripe with foil (and gilding); rarely enhances the design and is waaaaaaay too often used as a feature for the sake of selling more decks because people jump on foil and gilding. If you have not worked in print prior, always get samples of your product.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

I didn't know you belonged to my 'Not Enamoured with Foil and Gilding' club Harvs
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
Harvonsgard

Proud founding member 🫡.

VillainousIndustries
White Whale: The Ultimate Deck Uncut sheet
Decks Owned: 12

Unread post by VillainousIndustries »

Thanks for the thoughtful review, Evil!

I definitely have learned so much from this project, mainly what not to do lol.

I personally love the holo deck because it came out exactly as i envisioned it. Ghostly and transparent looking. I wanted the card back details to be white, but you know that's not how printing works unless you're screenprinting or something like that lol.

Many mistakes along the way (albeit, mostly on shipping the damn things.) We have a literal LIST of things we won't be doing on our next go around that will improve on quality, care, and assurance.

If we decide to do fulfillment ourselves ever again, it will be so much less cumbersome.

Also, yes, Angelorum will have test prints and no foiling on the cards lol.

Thanks again for the review! It's honest feedback that helps shape a better company.

<3
- Inhibit Heroem, Ludere Malificum -
Playing Card Designer
-----------------------
Kickstarter Decks:
2023 - SPIRITS I: The Ethereal Plane (Funded) Kickstarter Exclusive
2024 - RITUAL, Angelorum (Purus + Celestia)
TBA - SPIRITS II: The Cursed TOXin. (ft. 3Decks Designs)
-----------------------
Patreon Exclusive Decks:
2023 - GRAFF (Sept-Nov)
2024 - Aphrodite (Dec-Feb), BIRDSxBEES (Mar-May), SYNTHS (Jun-Aug), Gallows (Sep-Nov), The Deck of Orris (Full Year), TEETH (Full Year, LoV Exclusive)
------------------------
Grandmaster of the League of Villains
Instagram
Patreon
If there's one thing you should learn about me, don't ever f***ing doubt me.
Evilgamer

VillainousIndustries wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:07 pm Thanks for the thoughtful review, Evil!

I definitely have learned so much from this project, mainly what not to do lol.

I personally love the holo deck because it came out exactly as i envisioned it. Ghostly and transparent looking. I wanted the card back details to be white, but you know that's not how printing works unless you're screenprinting or something like that lol.

Many mistakes along the way (albeit, mostly on shipping the damn things.) We have a literal LIST of things we won't be doing on our next go around that will improve on quality, care, and assurance.

If we decide to do fulfillment ourselves ever again, it will be so much less cumbersome.

Also, yes, Angelorum will have test prints and no foiling on the cards lol.

Thanks again for the review! It's honest feedback that helps shape a better company.

<3
No problem.

I will say Im a huge fan of foiling, but it needs to be used selectively and purposefully designed as an highlighting aspect like that 9 of clubs, I think that card REALLY works.

still wish Ritual was still next to be honest :) that more forboding art style is more my thing than what Angelorum is showing so far, but still curious to see the final designs.
VillainousIndustries
White Whale: The Ultimate Deck Uncut sheet
Decks Owned: 12

Unread post by VillainousIndustries »

You haven't seen the Fallen Angels yet, muwahaha.

Also, the story of Angelorum ties right in to Ritual, with Animassis being the antagonist of Angelorum.

I hope to sway you :P
- Inhibit Heroem, Ludere Malificum -
Playing Card Designer
-----------------------
Kickstarter Decks:
2023 - SPIRITS I: The Ethereal Plane (Funded) Kickstarter Exclusive
2024 - RITUAL, Angelorum (Purus + Celestia)
TBA - SPIRITS II: The Cursed TOXin. (ft. 3Decks Designs)
-----------------------
Patreon Exclusive Decks:
2023 - GRAFF (Sept-Nov)
2024 - Aphrodite (Dec-Feb), BIRDSxBEES (Mar-May), SYNTHS (Jun-Aug), Gallows (Sep-Nov), The Deck of Orris (Full Year), TEETH (Full Year, LoV Exclusive)
------------------------
Grandmaster of the League of Villains
Instagram
Patreon
If there's one thing you should learn about me, don't ever f***ing doubt me.