Kings Wild Project - Official Thread

These are official company threads only. Do not start new topics here.
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Hermes 2 Deck Set
Decks Owned: 78623

Re: Kings Wild Project - Official Thread

Unread post by JacksonRobinson »

Strag wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:45 pm Wow, thought you were joking but nope, that's exactly what he said. Well that's me done with KWP, disparaging people is a great way to lose customers.
Ha! I thought you guys could take a joke...
Attachments
wedding-crashers-chaz.gif
wedding-crashers-chaz.gif (965.53 KiB) Viewed 15271 times
Strag
Player: Yes
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

JacksonRobinson wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:16 pm
Strag wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:45 pm Wow, thought you were joking but nope, that's exactly what he said. Well that's me done with KWP, disparaging people is a great way to lose customers.
Ha! I thought you guys could take a joke...
That one hit different. I admit as soon as I saw that comment I stopped the video. I'm just tired of that kind of thing. And yeah the meme thing was played out.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I dunno. I thought it was funny. A *little* biting, but I also don't mind that kind of video editing and have far bigger things to get sore about these days.

Thanks hsbc for the notes from the Q&A! I'm super stoked to hear that we'll be getting a KWP Tarot deck. And glad to hear the Legal Tender series is continuing. Swiss currency sounds great.

Hey, Jackson! If that goes over well, allow me to suggest Canadian currency at some point. Very colorful and fun. :)

A puzzle of the other Legal Tender decks could also be fun, with the coins from the different currencies in metallic foils. (Your original Legal Tender puzzle made a great Christmas gift a couple years ago to some folks who were on my list...)

Anyway. I'm glad KWP is continuing to mix it up, and it certainly sounds like they've got a lot planned for 2024.
This space intentionally left blank.
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

To be fair, a lot of my reaction is very much "old man yelling at clouds" stuff. I realise this sort of thing isn't meant for me and I'm likely (almost certainly) overreacting.

JR can run his business and social media however he likes. I still like his decks. I just don't like the marketing approach, that sort of thing (like the Wyrmwood stuff) just doesn't resonate with me but I get that it does for some.
Attachments
Cloud.jpg
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

KWP like wyrmwood doesnt take itself entirely serious, yeah I can see that rubbing people wrong

WW even had a joke video filmed around bad marketing phrases..problem was the spreadsheet with those ideas was shared with their real google Adsense vendor and....

went up for real...theres a 10min video where they explain and apologize for it, but "x not for poor people" is now a wyrmwood meme...and they arent serious (though they do sell $15k tables......)

I completely missed Jackson saying it until someone pointed it out. Im just not sensitive to being insulted at this point.....

Though Jacksons demeanor can definitely come across as smug....
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

YOU USED THE WORD 'SENSITIVE' AND NOW I'M TRIGGERRED!!!!

AHHHHHH!!!!
Evilgamer

in any case in an attempt to get this thread back on track here is the limited copy of the "Romeo" deck that came in today.

Im still due my first (and next to last....) gilded KWP subscription version

I do wish the colors "popped" a bit more but this is typical of the KWP decks.

also no those arent scratches on the red tuck just dirt from the table when I flipped over the tuck to show the title, its actually a metallic surface.
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Ha, that's a cool deck.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
DeaconSlim

Unread post by DeaconSlim »

Ha....figures that I get all of my subscriptions this Summer/August, half get delayed, then they're going to cancel them all?

I guess that saves me some money in the bank account.

Although, to me at least, it just seems like they were probably seeing dwindling subscription numbers for the other decks, along with like he said, the grind of it all....and now they can stick with the subscription that basically just recolors everything each month with a new tuck box.

And now we get to move to kickstarter campaigns where they rake in all the money from early access and bonus tiers and all that mess. So fewer decks, keeping the more expensive sub, shifting toward the method of selling more "extra" stuff to go along with the actual kickstarter decks.

I get it I guess, I can't imagine the amount of work that goes into it all....but it just sucks that I JUST got into the subs, and I feel like I always miss kickstarters or can't afford what I really want.

But my back account needed this I guess....I've spent $5000 since June/July when I started collecting and have every KWP deck currently available as well as previous versions of a dozen or so decks. Nothing's going to change that...I'm not done with KWP, but IDK how much I wanna just keep seeing the same concepts with different sources (aka, another LOTR deck, a Hobbit deck, different currency decks, etc). I hope it really is going to be more concepts and not just extending current ones all the time.

As one of the basement-dwelling meatloaf eaters, thanks Jackson for your hard work, and I look forward to seeing what comes next.

(NOW GIMME MY DELAYED DECKS lol)
Evilgamer

Im not that far behind you on...any of that.

But that doesnt mean I dont want to complete the LOTR or currency series. Those were the first thing I put a priority on completing from the (recent) back catalog and Im looking forward to the two tower KS decks becoming available.

My main complaint with KWP is that he hasn't been putting that last 10% into the decks to put them over the top, like I said above his coloring can be somewhat subdued maybe he'll do some of that now.

yes I do find it funny that like 3 weeks after I succeed to get on the gilded deck program they cancel it (got the email today that overbite deck should be here Monday or Tuesday).
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

As Jackson and TGW and so many others here have relayed to us over the years, a lot of these kinds of decisions really are "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kinds of scenarios. As someone who has owned a business or two myself in the past, I know that there are often times when market conditions or staffing conditions change such that you MUST change something about your business model, but getting it wrong not only affects you, but the staff whose salaries you are responsible for, as well. No change in a business model is ever taken lightly, especially when your operation gets to be the size of KWP.

I know what you mean, DeaconSlim, about getting on the train just as it's coming to a stop. As one comedian put it with regard to missing out: "Always a pallbearer..."

:lol:
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Guys relax, there is no shame in being old and not understanding meme culture. You know, when you're busy remixing your old decks then you got no time to realize that you're half as funny as you think you're and that you not just beat a horse to death but even to a pulp.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
DeaconSlim

rousselle wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:20 pm As Jackson and TGW and so many others here have relayed to us over the years, a lot of these kinds of decisions really are "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kinds of scenarios. As someone who has owned a business or two myself in the past, I know that there are often times when market conditions or staffing conditions change such that you MUST change something about your business model, but getting it wrong not only affects you, but the staff whose salaries you are responsible for, as well. No change in a business model is ever taken lightly, especially when your operation gets to be the size of KWP.

I know what you mean, DeaconSlim, about getting on the train just as it's coming to a stop. As one comedian put it with regard to missing out: "Always a pallbearer..."

:lol:
Haha...truth.

And I was a tad cranky that day I posted that, so that contributed to the tone of the post. I have had nothing but AMAZING experiences with KWP Customer Service and they have always answered every question I have and given me as much information as I ask for or need if not more. Truly shows how much good customer service can go toward giving your company a good reputation.

As far as other info....I'm considering the Mega Bundle deal for the 12 Days of Christmas this year and was wondering if anyone could point me to where I could find the decks/items that were given out during last year's 12 Days. I want to see what kind of stuff I would be getting. I know Jackson gave a general overview and summation of what's coming, but it would be nice to actually see previous years' stuff with my own eyes.

If it's somewhere in this thread, if someone can point me there too, that would be acceptable.

Besides that, I CAN'T WAIT to see what's in store for me. Hope my credit card payment clears before Friday so I can afford it all haha.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

DeaconSlim wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:14 pm If it's somewhere in this thread, if someone can point me there too, that would be acceptable.
Start here for 2021: viewtopic.php?p=210589#p210589
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

2022 info (incomplete) from the KWP Discord:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Ah yes, silly me bought two Wizard of Oz gilded decks for $30/ea thinking they were the book boxes and I was getting a steal.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
DeaconSlim

What does "Member Release" mean? Is that something special? If not, all of those decks are available as of now pretty much. But based on the 2021 thread linked, the decks offered were rare/special for some reason, so maybe "Member Release" means something that won't be sold online.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but KWP has really let me down as far as subscriptions go. I signed up late Summer, and as of now I'm still waiting on 2 decks from October and 3 decks from November and just received an email today that the Gilded Table Players subscription deck is "Out of Stock" and would be shipped/charged when it becomes available. I have no idea if that means the November deck or the December deck, but in previous conversations with Customer Service, they didn't mention anything about the November deck being "Out of Stock", just that they were working on getting them out ASAP.

Regardless, how does a deck that you sell SUBSCRIPTIONS to, meaning you have a specific number of people ALREADY paying for them, how does that get "Out of Stock"? I don't understand that one bit.

But if they are having trouble keeping up with the current subscriptions for the Gilded Table Players decks, how am I supposed to trust that they are going to be able to handle it when MORE people are allowed to sign up for it and when it is the ONLY one that people can sign up for?

I guess their response will be that their efforts will be fully on the Gilded TP shipments, but it still doesn't make much sense to me.

I was so excited to get the subscriptions and then get brought off the waiting list for the Gilded version, and then I've gotten 1 deck since then.

This is starting to get a little ridiculous if you ask me!
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

Highly recommend you join their Discord and ask these questions there. The team is quite responsive there from what I understand.
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
White Whale: Hermes 2 Deck Set
Decks Owned: 78623

Unread post by JacksonRobinson »

DeaconSlim wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:58 am What does "Member Release" mean? Is that something special? If not, all of those decks are available as of now pretty much. But based on the 2021 thread linked, the decks offered were rare/special for some reason, so maybe "Member Release" means something that won't be sold online.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but KWP has really let me down as far as subscriptions go. I signed up late Summer, and as of now I'm still waiting on 2 decks from October and 3 decks from November and just received an email today that the Gilded Table Players subscription deck is "Out of Stock" and would be shipped/charged when it becomes available. I have no idea if that means the November deck or the December deck, but in previous conversations with Customer Service, they didn't mention anything about the November deck being "Out of Stock", just that they were working on getting them out ASAP.

Regardless, how does a deck that you sell SUBSCRIPTIONS to, meaning you have a specific number of people ALREADY paying for them, how does that get "Out of Stock"? I don't understand that one bit.

But if they are having trouble keeping up with the current subscriptions for the Gilded Table Players decks, how am I supposed to trust that they are going to be able to handle it when MORE people are allowed to sign up for it and when it is the ONLY one that people can sign up for?

I guess their response will be that their efforts will be fully on the Gilded TP shipments, but it still doesn't make much sense to me.

I was so excited to get the subscriptions and then get brought off the waiting list for the Gilded version, and then I've gotten 1 deck since then.

This is starting to get a little ridiculous if you ask me!
Did you get a sufficient answer on our discord?
EndersGame

Unread post by EndersGame »

Hey Jackson, judging by your stats here, it looks like you have to be a bit more thankful! ;)

"It is more blessed to give than to receive." :)
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Eric Lee wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:44 pm Planned:

After LotR: RotK, he'll be bringing out the Hobbit deck in Sept.
July 4th is JR's take on the US Currency as if they had asked him to revamp the currency design.
Also confirms he's thinking about a Tarot deck based on the Athurian design but no firm date.
Planning on using UV inks for the Labyrinth v2 where the UV ink reveals the solution. Maybe incorporating the UV ink on the Legal tender as well.
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Hah, that was fast! You beat me to it. Was going to update here as well.

Here's the YT JR's latest update on 15 Feb ; which had some very juicy stuff on KWP's 2024 plans.
There's a useful transcript as well which allows you to jump to the main parts and see the questions he was answering

hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Eric Lee wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:59 pm Hah, that was fast! You beat me to it. Was going to update here as well.
Sorry if I stepped on your toes, thanks for posting the video! :uggrin:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

hsbc wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:02 pm
Eric Lee wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:59 pm Hah, that was fast! You beat me to it. Was going to update here as well.
Sorry if I stepped on your toes, thanks for posting the video! :uggrin:
Nah, was just amazed how quickly you reposted it! All you mods and admins have been doing an amazing job on UC, making it an amazing place for all these years with so few hiccups and no toxic flame wars. Keep up the good work!
That Filthy Casual
Decks Owned: 110

Unread post by That Filthy Casual »

Hey everyone, just seen this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ki ... ume.UhspaW

So, I would like to ask all those outside of the US with experience with Kings Wild Project kickstarters - do you know what the cost of shipping generally is?

The international postage for items on their main websites are insane - to the point where costs about as much as a higher quality deck themselves. Would this kickstarter likely be the same?
GandalfPC
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

They have the shipping charges in the pledge for each country, but you may have other expenses:

“you are responsible for import duties or any other duties that may be payable to the relevant tax authorities”
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
That Filthy Casual

Later realised that if you click to pledge, it asks your country and will calculate the postage cost.

So the price of there postage on the official site for one pack was ridiculous. So, I attempted to order over 10 decks in the hope that the price of postage would either stay the same, or go down.

Instead, this happened:

Price of decks - $160 dollars
Price of postage - $106 dollars!

What in the name?!

Sent an email to them as this must be some sort of miscalculation. Not even Ebay postage costs are that ridiculous!
GandalfPC

Shipping costs can vary widely by carrier and JR may not have picked the best for your country - try reaching out to him directly and see if he has time to check into if a better option exists for them to use

GandalfPC

Almost here
IMG_0640.jpeg

That Filthy Casual

Well, someone got back to me about the price of postage, and the top and bottom of it read to me like "well, it could be cheaper, but I can't be bothered to find out."

So, that's me not bothering to support this guy. Designs of his cards are great, but won't bother unless it's a deck that's reasonably priced on a site like Penguin Magic or Vanishing Inc.