TGW presents The Beetlebacks designed by Widakk

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Disenchanted_11

Re: TGW presents The Beetlebacks designed by Widakk

Unread post by Disenchanted_11 »

Harvonsgard wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:08 pm You shoot yourself in the foot.
TheGentlemanWake wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:31 pm SO according to kicktraq the Beetle Backs will close at $126k. If the trend of the last few days continues it could be 127k.

Obviously 600% is 135k. Not easy. But I'd be willing to make the prismatic faces happen at 130k. But the last day will be a whirlwind.
Speaking of shooting foot.
Please cross that bridge when you get there Omar.
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:25 am I did that with the Successor Legacy edition and ended up being saddled with an extra 200 units I couldn't/can't sell.
Like they're just sitting in a warehouse now? Have you considered offering them for sale again to Successor backers?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

Disenchanted_11 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:02 am
Harvonsgard wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:08 pm You shoot yourself in the foot.
TheGentlemanWake wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:31 pm SO according to kicktraq the Beetle Backs will close at $126k. If the trend of the last few days continues it could be 127k.

Obviously 600% is 135k. Not easy. But I'd be willing to make the prismatic faces happen at 130k. But the last day will be a whirlwind.
Speaking of shooting foot.
Please cross that bridge when you get there Omar.
Every success I’ve had in this business has been predicated by anticipating and predicting rather than reacting. If I’m reacting it’s usually a bad thing. There’s nothing left for me to do on the campaign but anticipate the end of it.
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

hsbc wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:05 am
TheGentlemanWake wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:25 am I did that with the Successor Legacy edition and ended up being saddled with an extra 200 units I couldn't/can't sell.
Like they're just sitting in a warehouse now? Have you considered offering them for sale again to Successor backers?
That is correct. Sitting at gamblers. It feels like Selling them would be going back on my word. Even if they are to previous customers. I will likely offer a few as special giveaways.

Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:41 am
That is correct. Sitting at gamblers. It feels like Selling them would be going back on my word. Even if they are to previous customers. I will likely offer a few as special giveaways.
Thats another "no good answer" situation. My first thought was "offer them as an add-on for beetle backs" not really as a thing to increase funding (though it would add...some) but because it's still KS that way. But even that is going to be viewed negatively by some portion of the backers..you cant please everyone. But the other option is to as you say...just have them sit at GW and how does that end other than in a dumpster. Im indifferent to the whole "KS exclusive" (far as Im concerned those promises should mostly say "will not be REPRINTED", not necessarily infer that they will never be sold outside of KS after the KS+minimums/contingency gets printed) idea but that particular deck interests me so Im biased on making it available again.

As for campaign trajectory, I would take the trackers with a sams club amount of salt, Ive never seen them be even remotely correct and card campaigns dont usually have the KS last 48hour rally as people get knocked off the fence. Often quite the opposite as people make final decisions on all their addon decks.
zuccha
Magician: Yes

Unread post by zuccha »

If you are going to release kickstarter exclusive editions in the future, how about declaring that extra prints will be printed in case of exchanges, etc., and any extras will be sold at a later date only to those who purchase the exclusive edition?
(Would it be too much trouble to manage the customers?)

I respect Omar for not selling them easily, even though I think it is a bit of a waste.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Evilgamer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:49 am
Thats another "no good answer" situation. My first thought was "offer them as an add-on for beetle backs" not really as a thing to increase funding (though it would add...some) but because it's still KS that way. But even that is going to be viewed negatively by some portion of the backers..you cant please everyone. But the other option is to as you say...just have them sit at GW and how does that end other than in a dumpster. Im indifferent to the whole "KS exclusive" (far as Im concerned those promises should mostly say "will not be REPRINTED", not necessarily infer that they will never be sold outside of KS after the KS+minimums/contingency gets printed) idea but that particular deck interests me so Im biased on making it available again.

As for campaign trajectory, I would take the trackers with a sams club amount of salt, Ive never seen them be even remotely correct and card campaigns dont usually have the KS last 48hour rally as people get knocked off the fence. Often quite the opposite as people make final decisions on all their addon decks.
Trust me. I don’t trust the projections either. But what I can see is our daily pledge rate. And for the last three days we’ve been sitting at 1.3k a day. Which lines up for a 127k end. Now of course this can change day to day. Weekends are always slower. But the last days of the campaigns for tempest and Parlour did see a bump to 3k a day for the last three days. This campaigns trajectory looks more similar to those two than the outlier successor. Although the economy and market are different now of course. Finally the projections I took were the bottom ones. If you look at the optimistic projection from backerkit we are gonna hit 170k. Not likely.

Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:31 pm [...]

I'm going to be streaming on the final day of the campaign from 6pm to the last minute at 8pm eastern on Dec 8th. It's a friday. Hope everyone will join me on my youtube channel as we count down.
1am GMT? Sign me up! :D

Seriously, though, I will try, but I've got to be up earlyish on Saturday.
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

You could make an update to that campaign with a poll asking backers what they think.
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

I had a similar situation many years ago (a lot of leftovers I couldn’t sell online). It was around 2015 / 2016. I had been attempting aggressively to get some money from Alex Pandrea for my half of the White / Obsidian ORNATES Decks (10 different Decks in total). I knew how much everything cost with USPCC, and how much TBC received from the Kickstarter and Wholesale orders, so I knew there were plenty of profits. After many months, I gave up on it and demanded that Alex sent me the rest of the Decks in stock. Luckily, he did. But there was over 1,200 different Decks (100-250 of each variation). I didn’t even have a storefront yet, so I had no easy way to sell them online. Plus the ORNATE sales were pretty much at their limit with online collectors and KS Backers.

So, I decided to try something out of the box. I started selling at a few Comic Cons and Summer Festivals. At first it was just the leftover ORNATES, some early Draconians, Rome, Grinders and Bowl-A-Rama. It went beautifully! Fast forward to now - the ORNATES have all been sold out for many years, and I usually have a wide variety of 26-30 different Decks at any show. And I’ve created a lot of designs based off of the experience with casual buyers at shows. That includes all of the Euchre Decks I’ve done over the years.

Your problem would be selling expensive Decks to casual buyers. A majority of them would NEVER pay more than $12 for any Deck of Playing Cards! You wouldn’t make huge profits on the expensive Decks, but it’s better than them sitting at Gamblers. This year I sold at 20 different Comic Cons, Juried Art Shows, Summer Festivals and Holiday Shows. It’s definitely something to look into.

Thanks, Randy
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

RandyButterfield wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:54 pm

I had a similar situation many years ago (a lot of leftovers I couldn’t sell online). It was around 2015 / 2016. I had been attempting aggressively to get some money from Alex Pandrea for my half of the White / Obsidian ORNATES Decks (10 different Decks in total). I knew how much everything cost with USPCC, and how much TBC received from the Kickstarter and Wholesale orders, so I knew there were plenty of profits. After many months, I gave up on it and demanded that Alex sent me the rest of the Decks in stock. Luckily, he did. But there was over 1,200 different Decks (100-250 of each variation). I didn’t even have a storefront yet, so I had no easy way to sell them online. Plus the ORNATE sales were pretty much at their limit with online collectors and KS Backers.

So, I decided to try something out of the box. I started selling at a few Comic Cons and Summer Festivals. At first it was just the leftover ORNATES, some early Draconians, Rome, Grinders and Bowl-A-Rama. It went beautifully! Fast forward to now - the ORNATES have all been sold out for many years, and I usually have a wide variety of 26-30 different Decks at any show. And I’ve created a lot of designs based off of the experience with casual buyers at shows. That includes all of the Euchre Decks I’ve done over the years.

Your problem would be selling expensive Decks to casual buyers. A majority of them would NEVER pay more than $12 for any Deck of Playing Cards! You wouldn’t make huge profits on the expensive Decks, but it’s better than them sitting at Gamblers. This year I sold at 20 different Comic Cons, Juried Art Shows, Summer Festivals and Holiday Shows. It’s definitely something to look into.

Thanks, Randy
Thanks Randy, I appreciate the insight! I've never ventured to any conventions. Don't know if there are any Gotham City Gentleman Cons out there. lol

Evilgamer

I have a complex thought on that. First, Im not that far north of Omar so theres a 50% chance if he did that it would be something I could get to. But...I dont know of that many opportunities in this area. Also for some producers (and he would be one) I would be a little upset that decks I want are only being sold in the midwest or west coast (or Europe).
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Evilgamer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:18 pm I have a complex thought on that. First, Im not that far north of Omar so theres a 50% chance if he did that it would be something I could get to. But...I dont know of that many opportunities in this area. Also for some producers (and he would be one) I would be a little upset that decks I want are only being sold in the midwest or west coast (or Europe).
I don't have any plans of selling them now. In person or otherwise.
:D

BTW the legacy is currently going for $138 on ebay. Oooof.

RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Evilgamer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:18 pm I have a complex thought on that. First, Im not that far north of Omar so theres a 50% chance if he did that it would be something I could get to. But...I dont know of that many opportunities in this area. Also for some producers (and he would be one) I would be a little upset that decks I want are only being sold in the midwest or west coast (or Europe).

How would you know of a show he would be selling at though? There’s no need for vendors to do any advertising for these shows. You pay a booth fee, and then the show uses a percentage of those fees towards advertising and marketing for the show. I never post about any show I’m doing. I have run into a few people who have bought my Decks on Kickstarter. They’re just happy to see you! I even ran into the new USPCC vice president a couple months ago at Cincinnati Comic Expo. He and his wife are very nice. We talked for at least 20 minutes about Playing Cards.

Also, there’s shows everywhere! Large cities like Indianapolis, Miami, Detroit…. have multiple variations of Comic Cons, Summer Festivals, Juried Art Shows and Holiday Shows throughout each year (minus the Covid year). Even smaller towns have multiple shows available. Once you look, you’ll see them everywhere. Zapplication.commis the best spot for the Art Shows. Once January hits, there will lots of listings for each state in the U.S.

Thanks, Randy
Evilgamer

RandyButterfield wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:46 pm

How would you know of a show he would be selling at though? There’s no need for vendors to do any advertising for these shows. You pay a booth fee, and then the show uses a percentage of those fees towards advertising and marketing for the show. I never post about any show I’m doing. I have run into a few people who have bought my Decks on Kickstarter. They’re just happy to see you! I even ran into the new USPCC vice president a couple months ago at Cincinnati Comic Expo. He and his wife are very nice. We talked for at least 20 minutes about Playing Cards.

Also, there’s shows everywhere! Large cities like Indianapolis, Miami, Detroit…. have multiple variations of Comic Cons, Summer Festivals, Juried Art Shows and Holiday Shows throughout each year (minus the Covid year). Even smaller towns have multiple shows available. Once you look, you’ll see them everywhere. Zapplication.commis the best spot for the Art Shows. Once January hits, there will lots of listings for each state in the U.S.

Thanks, Randy
Why would you show up and not tell your fans to come to see you? I was already struggling at the potential return on investment for the original idea.

besides if I didnt know and then I saw the result was this
I'd be PISSED and probably at (in this example) Omar for enabling it.

(is that fair on Omar? probably not...but this is the internet....)
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:41 am It feels like Selling them would be going back on my word. Even if they are to previous customers.
Well that's a shame -- I skipped them during the campaign because my pledge was already so high, and I'd absolutely buy one now :( You'd sell stock and previous backers would be happy! Right now only the scaplers win
Evilgamer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:56 pm I'd be PISSED and probably at (in this example) Omar for enabling it.

This seems awfully unfair to me -- he's sitting on $6,000 worth of product, what would you do in that situation?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Evilgamer

hsbc wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:10 pm
TheGentlemanWake wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:41 am It feels like Selling them would be going back on my word. Even if they are to previous customers.
Well that's a shame -- I skipped them during the campaign because my pledge was already so high, and I'd absolutely buy one now :(
I would too, but I get it, and I put a lot of stock on people keeping their word.
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Evilgamer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:56 pm
Why would you show up and not tell your fans to come to see you? I was already struggling at the potential return on investment for the original idea.

besides if I didnt know and then I saw the result was this
I'd be PISSED and probably at (in this example) Omar for enabling it.

Selling at the shows have nothing to do with your current fans. They’re for selling to casual buyers. Most of them have no idea that custom Playing Cards even exist! The return on investment is great, as long as you produce Decks that aren’t over $5.00 each to print. Anytime I print a Deck with no Foil, no Embossing, no Interior printing…. that Deck is meant for the shows. Casual buyers don’t care about bling.

My best seller at a lot of shows is the Indiana Euchre Deck. It has no bling at all. I sold 285 of the Indian Euchre Deck (710 Decks overall) at just one Holiday show a couple weekends ago. No Midnight Cards fans in attendance.

The $138 price would definitely be a tough sell though. No casual buyer would pay even close to that amount for any Deck.

Thanks, Randy
Evilgamer

RandyButterfield wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:14 pm
The $138 price would definitely be a tough sell though. No casual buyer would pay even close to that amount for any Deck.

Thanks, Randy
I mean it was a $31 deck originally...but your point probably still stands with the casual crowd, a pretty "blingy deck"

TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Those are outdated photos!
Attachments
DSC08606.jpg
DSC08612.jpg
DSC08617.jpg
DSC08626.jpg
DSC08644.jpg

TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Lots of negative adjustments yesterday offset any gains. And today started out with about 1.2k of negative adjustments. Not looking good for the goal.

TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

hi all! I recently (finally) turned on the product review functionality on https://www.thegentlemanwake.com. If you've ever purchased or backed a TGW product it would mean the world to me for you to navigate to the site and write a thoughtful and honest review about your product and the experience! Thank you!

Evilgamer

O...mar...is a...real...meanie.

Ok..I dont see any place to make a comment (or any past ones?)

(yes Im logged in)
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Evilgamer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:04 pm O...mar...is a...real...meanie.

Ok..I dont see any place to make a comment (or any past ones?)

(yes Im logged in)
I wonder if its based on customers who buy POST the activation of the feature. hmmm.

Evilgamer

How many days ago is a few? I ordered my Dynastinate Successor on the 24th and I dont see it there either.
manu

Unread post by manu »

Fwiw I also don't see a way to leave a review on the product pages. My last order was on the 25th.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Evilgamer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:00 pm How many days ago is a few? I ordered my Dynastinate Successor on the 24th and I dont see it there either.
Well I just turned it on. It says customers will receive a review notice in 14 days after order. So hopefully you will see it then!

Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

I just scored a Prism as I was editing my pledge to doublecheck I had everything correct. Boom!
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thank you! Good hunting there.

Today has been a slog. We had 1.2k in negative adjustments first thing, and all day we've been climbing back to where we were.

Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I am still considering upgrading. The fact that there are slots still available actually makes that an easier possibility for me. I am sure you would have much preferred them to be taken in the first few minutes. However, for me, I like that it is still an easy upgrade option. Hopefully it also means it is less likely those in the top tiers will bail at the last minute.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction